YES IT DOES! This stuff worked fabulously! So now the story and proof...
We live in a rental, so it's a given that things aren't going to be spotless when we moved in. Don't get me wrong, the place was clean but of course the tub was pretty gross, and we've never been able to get it perfectly clean. We've tried foaming tub cleaners, bleach based sprays and just about every green cleaner on the shelves. So you can imagine my amazement when Pinterest is blowing up over a miracle cleaner that is so simple. So I tried it.
Here is our gross tub (stains and all) with the ingredients ready to go.
- 1 part distilled white vinegar
- 2/3 part blue dawn dish soap (I don't know why it has to be the blue specifically but every site I read said that's the one to use)
- spray bottle
What I did:
- Pour 1 cup vinegar into measuring cup and microwave for 1 minute.
- Add 2/3 cup of the blue Dawn to the vinegar, and mix it up. It'll make a light blue gel kind of stuff.
3. Pour it into your spray bottle and get to spraying.
Here's our tub with the mixture sprayed all over...
4. My spray bottle was cheap so once I got the walls sprayed, I poured the rest into the tub.
I let it sit about 45 minutes (ate some lunch).
5. Then I came back and scrubbed with the rough side of a sponge, for what seemed like forever.
It got very sudsy (even with the decrease in dish soap).
6. So I rinsed and scrubbed and rinsed and scrubbed a bunch more.
*Word of caution: the blue soap seemed like it stained the grout, but it came completely off after all the scrubbing and a couple good rinses.*
So here she is... much cleaner!
The walls are squeaky clean, took care of all the soap scum and whatever that gross red scum stuff was.
7. But, as you can see, the bottom of the tub was still pretty stained, so I mixed up another batch. I used a 1/1 mixture this time so that it would be a bit thicker and not run down the drain right away.
8. I poured the mix right into the tub and spread it around a little with my hands. I let that sit for about an hour (while I vacuumed and steam cleaned the bedroom carpet).
And here's the final product...
No, it's not perfect by any means (and the picture isn't that great) but YAY it's much better!
So, in summary...
- Easy and Cheap!
- No headache inducing chemical smell!
- Works like a dream on a super gross tub!
Hopefully this helps. Thanks for reading!